Ultherapy Vs Thermage: Skin Tightening Around the Eyes
Did you know that the first part of your body to betray your age is your eyes?
With the area around the eyes being the most sensitive on your face, it easily yields to aging.
Creams and concealers can only go so far, but if you want dramatic results without having to resort to surgery, there are two popular options – Ultherapy and Thermage CPT.
With these procedures having significant differences, one can have certain benefits over the other. Let’s go through them to see to help you sort out as to which is more preferable for you.
Non-invasive procedures or medical aesthetics have been having their fair share of the limelight in the past years. These treatments are designed to reverse the signs of aging by stimulating the skin, or its components, to initiate cellular renewal. This is basically the purpose which a lot of the equipment is designed to do.
This treatment has just recently been approved by the FDA for use in the US, but it has been used for several years in Europe and Asia. The machine used to deliver this treatment is named Ulthera, and it is technology that uses ultrasound energy to heat the skin and muscles to induce superficial and deep collagen renewal and production. The level of treatment delivered can be seen on a screen showing ultrasound images that informs the aesthetician of the amount of energy that is being delivered, also to monitor if it is still within proper levels.
It is like a non-surgical facelift that is known to work well on the areas around the eyes, especially laugh lines. It targets the collagen in the deeper levels of the skin and activates renewal through concentrated heat.
1. One of the major advantages of Ultherapy is that it is a non-invasive treatment that provides results which are comparable to a facelift. It can also easily target the delicate areas around the eyes so as to erase any fine lines and wrinkles.
2. This is also a reliable treatment for skin tightening as the ultrasound energy activates collagen renewal through the concentrated heat that is emitted by the applicator. With collagen regeneration the skin eventually becomes more elastic, and when it comes to the eye area, this will appear more rejuvenated or youthful.
3. One of the benefits of this procedure is that it produces minimal pain. One may experience some tingling sensation as the applicator introduces heat to the deeper tissues where collagen is found. But the good thing is that this will subside in minutes allowing you to return to your usual activities afterwards.
4. The areas around the eyes can take approximately 30 minutes to finish, so you can get this procedure done within your lunch time!
1. Ultherapy does not provide immediate results. It takes several weeks before some improvement can be observed. However, there are patients who claim that they were already abley to appreciate initial results days after the treatment.
2. Ultherapy can be rather expensive, but you can tap into financing plans to help you afford the procedure.
3. The results are not permanent, which is why you have to come back for touch up sessions to maintain results.
Unlike ultherapy, this treatment has been around much longer and has created a more interesting reputation over the years. In its infantile stage, Thermage was known to be a rather painful procedure because the radiofrequency energy, once delivered to the target areas, tends to create that snapping sensation which many compare to being slapped by a hot rubber band. This can be particularly uncomfortable to the very sensitive eye area. But thanks to technology, equipment is now made available, and Thermage CPT was introduced into the market.
It runs on the technology that ensures painless treatments, efficiency, and visible results. The radiofrequency energy also stimulates the collagen layers to tighten and lift the target area. The results are also not permanent, but touch-up sessions will eventually make the problem much less apparent.
1. This treatment is now optimized to create a painless process but with more efficient results. This also makes it easier and more comfortable to be used on the sensitive areas around the eyes. It can also be used to tighten and smoothen the upper eyelids.
2. One of the definite advantages of Thermage is that it is a one- time treatment. The results can last for up to two years, but with touch-up sessions, you can maintain and even improve the overall condition of the skin.
3. Thermage is said to improve the skin for years after initial treatment.
4. It can be done in under 30 minutes, especially if there area to be treated is very small.
5. There is no down time and also no chance of bruising after the treatment, allowing you to return to your activities.
1. Its reputation has been marred by years of painful treatments.
2. People with poor skin laxity, or in this case, pronounced laugh lines or crow’s feet may not do well with this treatment.
3. Based on Real Self ratings, this treatment is less preferable than Ultherapy.
Ultherapy vs Thermage
When it comes to treating eye wrinkles, Ultherapy and Thermage are considered to be top contenders. According to researchers, when performed by experienced and certified personnel, these treatments can have very little risk for fat atrophy, nerve damage and over correction.
However, it is also true that both treatments have different strengths in certain parts of the body, or in this case – the face. With Thermage tweaked to have CPT (comfort pulse technology) it now allows a less painful treatment that can be used in the under-eye area. Ultherapy, on the other hand, can only be used in the outer orbital area.
Doctors would say that if the issue was one of skin sagging, Ultherapy can be a more suitable treatment. But if wrinkling is the more dominant problem, then Thermage can be more appropriate for the job.
Both Ultherapy and Thermage work in order to stimulate collagen production and renewal for the ultimate purpose of tightening the skin. When it comes to patient reviews and feedback, a lot prefer Ultherapy over Thermage.
Although both are promising, you can certainly have a good doctor assess the extent of your skin aging around the eyes to see which would suit your better. So it ultimately boils down to the specific need of the patient, which is why an honest consultation is very important.
About Dr Tyng Tan
Dr. Tan Tyng Yuan, MBBS completed her graduate and medical education in the United Kingdom over a span of 10 years.