How to Maximise the Benefits of Thermage with Proper Aftercare
It’s fortunate that with the kind of technology we have today, looking old can be an option – or at least we can delay it. Thermage is one of those treatments that has proved its worth in a lot of clinics in Singapore in terms of non-invasive skin rejuvenation.
So, should you find yourself going for a session soon, here’s a quick look at how to ensure good results.
We’ve all come to love Thermage as a non-surgical skin tightening treatment. It does the job by heating up the deeper layers of the skin to stimulate cell turnover. The process triggers the renewal of collagen and elastin, which are the fibres that make up the supporting structures of the skin. Restoring this meshwork of protein fibres makes the entire structure thicker, firmer, and youthful-looking.
For that reason, Thermage became a popular skin tightening option because it is proven to enhance contours and improve sagging even after a session. This action also benefits skin texture by gradually minimising the appearance of fine lines and wrinkles.
Furthermore, the bulk heating also has the capacity of doing the same action on other areas of the body such as the arms, abdomen, buttocks, thighs, legs, and knees.
However, even without any significant downtime, there are aftercare measures that must be considered to ensure a favourable outcome.
Related Post: Ultherapy Vs Thermage: Skin Tightening Around the Eyes
Are there any special preparations needed for Thermage?
The good thing about this treatment is that it’s made for those with a hectic lifestyle. There’s not much to prepare prior to your session compared with surgery, but here are important reminders:
Things to expect after your treatment
After a session with Thermage, you can expect the following:
- Your skin on the targeted areas will be slightly pink, but it will lighten within a few hours. It shouldn’t hinder you from your usual activities, and you even wear make-up immediately after treatment, if desired.
- Post-treatment micro-swelling is expected as a result of the radiofrequency heat produced. This action means that there is deep tissue stimulation, which is the aim of the game for this treatment. Fortunately, this will subside within 24-48 hours.
- After the treatment, results will be subtle, but it will be visible. Progress will be evident in the next few months as the process of collagen reshaping continues.
Adverse results that may happen with Thermage
To prepare for Thermage is to know what you may be up against should results go awry. This knowledge should help you when choosing your doctor and in properly preparing for potential adverse reactions.
Here’s a list of side effects:
- Altered sensation or transient tingling may temporarily occur on the treatment site, but these usually resolve in a week.
- There are rare instances where the treatment produces heating in the upper layers of the skin causing burns, blisters, and scab formation. Fortunately, this can be prevented with proper technique, so make sure that you get the treatment done by a doctor who is trained and certified to use aesthetic devices in Singapore.
- Surface irregularities may also happen, although it may not be evident immediately after treatment. However, it may appear after a month or more after your session.
- You may have lumps or nodules under the skin which usually occur in the neck area, but it can resolve within 1-2 weeks without long-term complications.
- There may be pigment changes, such as darkening of the skin, which normally resolves within several months.
- Pigmentary changes may develop into scars.
Under the right care, there is hardly anything to worry about after a Thermage treatment. There may be no special protocols to follow, but there are measures to boost results.
The skin can be sensitive after treatment. Give it an extra layer of protection, especially when heading out. Use a sunscreen with an SPF of 30 or higher for at least a week after treatment. Of course, SPF protection is beneficial for daily use against UV damage, so your skin still benefits if you maintain it. Think of it as an investment that can go a long way in terms of keeping your skin healthy and youthful.
You should also be mindful of the skincare products you put on your skin because, with its current state, these can be irritating. At this point, it would be safe to just skip any harsh formulations and mechanical contact (e.g. scrubs or sonic cleansing systems).
We suggest to our patients to give their skin a good night’s rest to recover. Ample hours of sleep will also complement the collagen renewal triggered by Thermage because it helps release human growth hormone – a key ingredient for collagen production.
It’s safe to apply make-up after your treatment to conceal any redness, or simply because you have other commitments. This convenience is why Thermage CPT is a skin tightening option for women on the go.
Skip the hot showers and baths, and go for lukewarm or cold water instead. Hot water can strip the skin of its natural oils, while cooler temperatures can help it recover faster – and it helps that it’s soothing too. Pair this with mild soap to avoid irritants. It’s also important that you just pat your skin dry instead of rubbing it with a towel.
Concerns have been raised over the use of NSAIDs (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs) after treatment because it was believed to modify the outcomes that should be achieved by Thermage. However, some doctors claim that they haven’t found any correlation. Meanwhile, there are some practitioners who would advise avoiding these types of medication while your skin bounces back.
Patients will also be instructed to avoid aspirin, aspirin-containing products, and ibuprofen for at least two weeks after treatment. To manage any discomfort, Tylenol would be a safe option.
If you have taken medication prior to treatment that has a sedative effect, do not drive or operate machinery for at least four hours after your session. Unless there is persistent redness, blistering, or crusting in the treated areas, you may resume all normal activities.
Observe skin reactions
If any adverse reactions develop and eventually worsen, report these to your doctor. For instance, blisters and pigmentary changes could potentially result in permanent scars if not addressed early on.
Thermage CPT is proven to deliver a therapeutic infusion of heat to rejuvenate your skin. But, it would do your skin good when you have the skincare practices to match! The points mentioned above are general instructions, but if you need a customised care plan to bolster your beautiful results, we would be happy to discuss them with you!
To get that glowing and tighter skin, book your appointment for a Thermage CPT treatment with Dr Tyng Tan today!