About Dr. Tyng Tan
Dr Tyng Tan has…
• a true passion for aesthetics and surgical hair restoration.
• a Bachelor’s Degree in Medicine and Surgery from the prestigious University College London.
• a Diploma in Dermatology from Cardiff University in the UK.
• a certification from the Aesthetics Practice Oversight Committee (APOC) to administer various Aesthetic Lasers, Dermal Fillers, IPL, and Chemical Peeling.
• a long fellowship training by the ISHRS at one of 5 recognised training centers in the world.
• intensive training in hair transplantation with distinguished physicians from Asia and the United States.
• an approval by the Singapore Medical Council to carry out FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation) and FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) techniques.
• trained in fully shaved, partially shaved, and non-shaved FUE hair transplant surgery.
• attended scientific meetings on hair restoration surgery.
• published research in hair loss journals.
Dr. Tan Tyng Yuan, MBBS completed her graduate and medical education in the United Kingdom over a span of 10 years. She received her Bachelor of Medicine and Bachelor of Surgery from the prestigious University College London.
Dr. Tan initially trained in Anesthesiology upon her return to Singapore. However, she discovered that her true passion lies in aesthetics and hair restoration surgery. It was the realization that this focus for her practice provides a lifetime of happiness, and vigour in patients. This pushed her to train extensively with other physicians.
She obtained her Diploma in Dermatology from Cardiff University in the UK. Dr. Tan is certified by the Aesthetics Practice Oversight Committee (APOC) to administer various Aesthetic Lasers (pigment, fractional, ablative and non-ablative), Dermal Fillers, IPL, and Chemical Peeling.
Dr. Tan also pursued intensive training in hair transplantation with distinguished physicians from Asia and the United States.
Today, Dr. Tan is one of a few doctors who is approved by the Singapore Medical Council to carry out hair transplantation with specialization on both FUE (Follicular Unit Extraction) techniques and FUT (Follicular Unit Transplantation). Dr. Tan also offers 3 techniques from her training with Dr Cole, the fully shaved, partially shaved, and non-shaved hair transplant techniques. In her effort to polish her skills and keep abreast of current technology, Dr tan regularly attends scientific meetings dedicated to hair restoration surgery.
Dr Tan currently holds active membership in the following associations:
- International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery
Asia Association of Hair Restoration Surgeons
The American Academy of Anti-Aging Medicine
The American Academy of Aesthetic Medicine
Besides these, Dr. Tan was trained in hair restoration surgery and has completed a long fellowship training by the ISHRS at one of 5 recognised training centers in the world.
Dr. Tan also has published research in hair loss journals. She did a study of over 200 patients to establish the most common and natural hairlines in oriental men in Southeast Asia. This resulted in her being one of the contributing authors of the hair restoration textbook – “Practical Aspects of Hair Transplantation in Asians”.
She also likes to pay it forward and give back to the hair transplant community and was one of the two speakers for the hair transplant workshop held by the AAAM training doctors from all over the region in 2016. She was also an invited speaker at the Wanbao yearly seminar in 2013 to share her knowledge on hair loss to the general public.
She used to go on missionary trips to offer her medical skills to treat underprivileged patients. After becoming a mother, her focus became children’s charities in Singapore.
Turning Frustrations into Passion
When it came to skin issues, Dr. Tan share the same frustrations and anxieties with her patients having struggled with acne herself in her teens. Her interest in medical aesthetics was also triggered by her desire to be a beautiful bride on her wedding day. She wanted to look flawless but was not diligent enough with skincare. This led her to explore options which allowed her to look good through evidence-based methods that provide long-lasting results.
In hair loss, Dr. Tan understands that patients come to her with some knowledge about the condition and a goal in mind. Therefore, she takes it as her responsibility to guide them along, correct misconceptions, and provide solutions that will suit their needs. To address hair loss concerns in both men and women, Dr. tan provides a range of medical treatments.
Taking a Full 180
Dr. Tan admits that she used to be cynic when it came to Medical Aesthetics. However, all that changed when she understood the science behind the procedures. She realized that the treatments neither aged the skin or caused permanent harm, and it also produced quick results. This prompted her passionate pursuit of Aesthetics and Hair Transplants.
On Medical Aesthetics
Dr. Tyng Tan believes that medical aesthetics is about balancing between external and internal beauty. In the realm of aesthetics, she aims to preserve a patient’s beauty and combat ageing using as natural methods as possible. She puts the effort in ensuring that treatments offered at the clinic are not too invasive.
The earlier a problem is tackled, the lesser the chances that a patient will need invasive or drastic treatments down the line. Those in their 20s tend to neglect their skin, especially when holding stressful jobs. As a wife, a mother, and a career woman, she understands how skincare is often placed in the backburner. However, Dr. Tan advises individuals to give the skin a shot of rejuvenation while it’s early. With the current crop of treatments available today, patients can enjoy fast, safe, efficient, and even painless treatments.
It is also worth reminding patients that medical doctors offer more options than standard, non-medically trained aestheticians. There are also limits to over-the-counter products, as sometimes the skin requires stimulation in the deeper layers which is only achievable under medical supervision.
On Hair Restoration
Dr. Tan holds the same principle in hair restoration. Hair loss is a multifactorial phenomenon and it can be devastating especially among women. If hair loss treatment is sought early, patients can have more non-invasive options to work with, and permanent hair loss can be prevented. Hair transplant surgery is usually the last resort when all other options fail.
1. Tyng Yuan Tan, Damkerng Pathomvanich. Naturally Occurring Hairlines in Non-balding Oriental Men of East and Southeast Asian Origin. May 2018 • In book: Practical Aspects of Hair Transplantation in Asians (pp.137-143).
2. Tyng Yuan Tan. Follicular Transection in Strip Harvesting. May 2018 • In book: Practical Aspects of Hair Transplantation in Asians (pp.193-199).
3. Tyng Yuan Tan, Damkerng Pathomvanich, Dell Kristie O. Castillejos, Patcharee Thienthaworn. Follicular Transection Rate in FUT in Asians: 15 Years Later. January 2017 • International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery 27(1):1-7.
4. Tyng Yuan Tan, Damkerng Pathomvanich. Naturally Occurring Hairlines in Orientals of Southeast and East Asian Origin and Their Application in Hair Restoration Surgery. September 2016 • International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery 26(5):204-207.
5. Tyng Yuan Tan, Dell Kristie O. Castillejos, Damkerng Pathomvanich, Chontirot Srikasedsarakul, Patcharee Thienthaworn, Natenapa Lu, Pattharin Rungfapaisan. The Effect of ATPv Solution on Graft Survival and Growth Rate in Hair Transplantation: The DHT Clinic Experience. March 2016 • International Society of Hair Restoration Surgery 26(2):60-63.
Dr. Tan Tyng Yuan
MBBS (U of London, United Kingdom) 2006, Dip Pract Derm (Cardiff U, United Kingdom) 2012
DO YOU HAVE A QUESTION OR NEED MORE INFORMATION?
Call our team at +65 6235 0010 or complete our contact form below.